Post Doctoral Fellow - University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
Ph. D. (Organic Chemistry) - Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
B. Ed. (Science & Maths.) - Berhampur University, Berhampur, Odisha
M. Sc. (Organic Chemistry) - Berhampur University, Berhampur, Odisha
B. Sc. (Chemistry Hons.) - Berhampur University, Berhampur, Odisha
EXPERIENCE : Research : 20 yrs
|Asst. Professor (2008 – Continuing): Department of Natural Products, National Institute of Pharmaceutical
and Research (NIPER), Ahmedabad,
|Scientist Fellow (CSIR, 2006-2008): Institute of Minerals and Material Technology (formerly RRL), Bhubaneswar, Odisha
|Post Doctoral Fellow (2004 - 2005): University of Pretoria, South Africa
|Research Associate (CSIR, 2003-2006): Regional Research Laboratory, Bhubaneswar
|Senior Project Fellow (1997-2003): Regional Research Laboratory, Bhubaneswar
|Senior Project Assistant (1994-1997): Regional Research Laboratory, Bhubaneswar
RESEARCH AREA :
- Synthesis of NCEs/Analogues of Natural Scaffolds for Enhanced activity against Tuberculosis, Cancer, Implantation and Diabetes.
- Chemical screening of Medicinal Plants, Lichens, Mushrooms and Latexes etc. & Identification antitubercular, anticancer, antidiabetics and neuroprotective bioactive leads
- Triple ‘P’ based standardization of Indian System of Medicines (Single & Poly Herbal Formulations)
PROJECTS On going :
- Synthesis and Development of Antitubercular 1,4-Naphthoquinone Congeners as Mycobacterium tuberculosis Methionine Aminopeptidases Inhibitors, Funded by Dept. of Biotechnology, Govt. of India, Grant : ~ 32.00 lakhs, 2013 - Project Investigator
- Centre of Excellence for Quality Assurance of Drugs, Funded by Industrial Commissionrate, Govt. of Gujarat, No. IC/Salt/R&D/09-10/2565, Grant: 119.40 lakhs - Project Investigator
- Bioassay Guided Isolation of Active Compounds as Potent Antifungal Agents Industry Project, (2010-2011), Grant : 1.75 lakh – Project Investigator
- Biological and Chemical Transformation of Plant Compounds for Production of Value Added Products of Therapeutic/Aroma Value(NWP-09, 2007-08) CSIR Net Work Project - Team member
- Discovery, Development and Commercialization of Bio-active Molecules from Plant Sources and Traditional Preparations (COR-23, 2002-2008), CSIR Inter Laboratory Project, Grant : 87. 80 lakhs. - Team member
- Golden Triangle Programme on Standardisation of Ayurvedic Formulations (GAP-131, 2006-08), Dept of AYUSH, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Grant: 26.00 lakhs. - Team member
- Development of Potent Mosquitocidal Agents from Natural Sources (CLP-39, 2005-07), ICMR, Grant : 10.00 lakhs. - Team member
- Development of Medicinal Plant Chemotypes for Enhanced Markers and Value Added Compounds (COR-02, 2003-07), CSIR Task Force Project, Grant : 111.83 lakhs. - Team member
- Newer Scientific Herbal Preparations for Global Positioning (SMM-07, 2003-07), CSIR, Task Force Project, Grant : 118. 60 lakhs- Team member
- Development of Standard Operating Procedures of Manufacturing Process of Compound ASU Formulations and their Pharmacopoeial Standardization (GAP-101, 2003-08), Dept of AYUSH, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare,
Grant: 26.00 lakhs- Team member
- Development of (GAP-101, 1997-2003), Dept. of AYUSH, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Grant: 26.00 lakhs- Team member
Fellowships and Awards :
Prof. A.R. Rao Memorial Best Young Researcher Award at International
Conference on "Recent Advances in Cancer Research - Therapeutics to
Chemoprevention, 8-9th February, 2012 by Central University of Gujarat.
Dr. P.D. Sethi Award" for the Best Research Paper (2008) on "Application of TLC/ HPTLC in Pharma, Herbal and other Analysis"
Fellow Scientist (RRL, Bhubaneswar, 2006-2008)
Post Doctoral Fellow (University of Pretoria, South Africa, 2004-2005)
DST Women Scientist Award (Dept. Science & Technology, 2003)
Research Associate (CSIR, 2003)
University 3rd Rank & National Scholarship in B. Sc.
Merit Scholarship H.S.C.
Foreign Examiner of Ph.D. and M. S. thesis of Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, University of Pretoria, South Africa
- External Examiner for Ph. D. Thesis of Sardar Patel University, Anan
Expert member for UG and PG course of Dept. of Phytomedicine, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Recognized as Ph.D. Guide of i) NIPER- Ahmedabad, ii) NIRMA University, Ahmedabad in Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, iii) Sardar Patel University, Anand in Faculty of Chemistry ; Students – TWO
Supervisor (M.S. Thesis)
Completed -Seventeen; Continuing - Three
Research Progress Committee (Ph.D.), B. V. Patel PERD Centre, Ahmedabad
Reviewer for International journals
Natural Product Research, Polar Biology, Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, Talanta, Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacological Research, Scientia Pharmaceutica
Other Activities :
Member : Examination Committee 1st & 2nd Semester
Coordinator : Convocation Committee (2010), Student Alumni Association
In-Charge : 1. Rajbhasha Samiti, 2. Girl’s Hostel, 3. Website
Member : Food Committee
Industrial Projects : Carrying out industrial projects of PERD centre.
Summer Training : Imparting training to M. Pharm. students of other Institutes in the area of Extraction, chemical screening and isolation of compounds from plants. NIRMA university - 4
Co-Chair : Souvenir Committee, 6th International Symposium by B. V. Patel PERD Centre, Ahmedabad, during 25-28th, Nov., 2010.
- Dr. Inshad Ali Khan, Scientist, Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine (IIIM, CSIR), Jammu
Membership of Professional Bodies : Life member, Odisha Chemical Society
- N. Kishore, B. Binneman, Anita Mahapatra, M. van de Venter, D. du Plessis-Stoman, G. Boukes, P. Houghton, J.J.M. Meyer, N. Lall, Cytotoxicity of synthesized 1,4-naphthoquinone analogues on selected human cancer cell lines, Bioorganic Medicinal Chemistry, (In Press) Available online 3 July 2014. Impact Factor: 2.903
- Anita Mahapatra*, N. Chauhan, D. R. Patel, N. P. Kalia, V. S. Rajput and I. A. Khan, Synthesis and anti-tubercular activity of oleanolic acid analogues (2014),Pharmaceutical Chemistry Journal, 48(1), 39-43. Impact Factor: 0.320
- Anita Mahapatra*, V. Maheswari, N. P. Kalia, V. S. Rajput and I. A. Khan, Synthesis and anti-tubercular activity of berberine derivatives (2014), Chemistry of Natural Compounds, 50(2), 321-325. Impact Factor: 0.599
By tomorrow I will be giving an advertisement for Career, please consider it.
- U. V. Mallavadhani, Anita Mahapatra, B. Pattnaik, N. Suri, A. K. Saxena, Synthesis and anti-cancer activity of some novel C-17 analogs of ursolic and oleanolic acids (2013), Medicinal Chemistry Research.22(3), 1263-1269. Impact factor :1.271
- Anita Mahapatra*, T. E. Tshikalange, J. J. M. Meyer and N. Lall, Synthesis and HIV-1 Reverse Transcriptase Inhibition Activity of 1,4-Naphthoquinone Derivatives(2012), Chemistry of Natural Compounds. 47(6), 883-887.Impact Factor: 1.029
- C. Kamaraj, A. A. Rahuman*, Anita Mahapatra*, A. Bagavan and G. Elango, Insecticidal and larvicidal activities of medicinal plant extracts against mosquitoes (2010), Parasitology Research, 107, 1337-1349.Impact Factor: 2.149
- A. Chinnia, S. Mohapatra, S. Goswami, Anita Mahapatra, S. K. Kar, U. V. Mallavadhani and P. K.Das, On the potential of Tephrosiapurpurea as anti-Helicobacter pylori Agent (2009),Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 124(3), 642-645. Impact Factor: 3.014
- U. V. Mallavadhani, S. Mohapatra and Anita Mahapatra, Quantitative determination of corosolic acid, a type-II antidiabetic agent in various parts of Lagerstroemia speciosa Linn (2008),Journal of Planar Chromatography, 21(6), 461-464.Impact Factor: 1.247
"Dr. P. D. Sethi Award" for Best Research Paper (2008) on "Application of TLC/ HPTLC in Pharma, Herbal and other Analysis".
- B. Binneman, Anita Mahapatra, J. J. M.Meyer, and N. Lall, Evaluation of medicinal plants and synthesized naphthoquinones on cancer cells, (2007) South African Journal of Botany 73(2), 325. Impact Factor: 1.409
- T. E. Tshikalange, Anita Mahapatra, J. J. M. Meyer and N. Lall In vitro HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activity of naphthoquinones and derivatives from Euclea natalensis, (2007) South African Journal of Botany 73(2), 339. Impact Factor: 1.409
- U. V. Mallavadhani, Anita Mahapatra and S. Mohapatra, An efficient chemical method for separation of corsolic acid from its isomeric maslinic acid, (2006) Natural Products Research, 20(10), 946-952. Impact Factor: 1.009
- Anita Mahapatra, S. P. N. Mativandlela, B. Binneman, P. B. Fourie, Chris J. Hamilton, J. J .M. Meyer, F van der Kooy, P. Houghton and N. Lall, Activity of 7-methyljuglone derivatives against Mycobacterium tuberculosis and as subversive substrates for mycothiol disulfide reductase, (2007) Bioorganic Medicinal Chemistry, 15(24), 7638-7646.Impact Factor: 3.108
- U. V. Mallavadhani, K. V. S. Satyanarayana, Anita Mahapatra, A. V. S. Sudhakar, K. Narasimhan, D. K. Pandey and M. T. Arasu, Distinguishable microscopic and chemical markers of some Euphorbia latexes, (2006)Journal of Integrative Plant Biology, 48(9), 1115-1121. Impact Factor: 3.750
- U. V. Mallavadhani, K. Narasimhan, A.V.S. Sudhakar, Anita Mahapatra, W. Li and R.B. Van Breemen, Three new pentacyclic triterpenes and some flavonoids from the fruits of an Indian ayurvedic plant Dendrophthoe falcata and their estrogen receptor binding activity, (2006) Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 54(5),740-744.Impact Factor: 1.623
- U. V. Mallavadhani, A. V. S. Sudhakar, K. V. S. Satyanarayan, Anita Mahapatra, W. Li and R. B. Van Breemen, Chemical and analytical screening of some edible mushrooms, (2006)Food Chemistry, 95(1), 58-64. Impact Factor: 3.655
- U. V. Mallavadhani and Anita Mahapatra, A new aurone and two rare metabolites from the leaves of Diospyros melanoxylon, (2005) Natural Products Research,19(1), 91-97. Impact Factor: 1.009
- U. V. Mallavadhani, Anita Mahapatra, Kaiser Jamil and P. S. Reddy, Antimicrobial activity of some pentacyclic triterpenes and their synthesized 3-O-lipophilic chains, (2004) Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 27 (10), 1576-1579. Impact Factor: 1.811
- U. V. Mallavadhani, K. V. S. Satyanarayana and Anita Mahapatra, Quantitative evaluation of anticancer marker levels of an ayurvedic preparation 'Virala', (2004)Pharmaceutical Biology, 42(4-5), 338-341.Impact Factor: 0.638
- U. V. Mallavadhani, K. V. S. Satyanarayana, Anita Mahapatra, and A. V. S. Sudhakar, A new tetracyclic triterpene from the latex of Euphorbia nerifolia, (2004) Natural Products Research, 18(1), 33-37. Impact Factor:1.009
- U. V. Mallavadhani, A. V. S. Sudhakar, Anita Mahapatra, K. Narasimhan, M. T. Arasu and J.A. Elix, Phenolic and steroidal constituents of the unexplored lichen Usnea longissima, (2004) Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, 32(1), 95-97. Impact Factor: 1.110
- U. V. Mallavadhani, Anita Mahapatra, S. Sabitha Raja and C. Manjula, Antifeedant activity of some pentacyclic triterpene acids and their fatty ester analogues, (2003) Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 51(7), 1952-1955.Impact Factor: 2.823
- U. V. Mallavadhani, Anita Mahapatra, K. Narasimhan and L. D. Sahoo, Interesting product formation during O–alkylation and subsequent rearrangement of two building blocks of dibromotyrosine based natural products, (2002)Indian Journal of Chem., 41 B, 1460-66.Impact Factor: 0.648
- U. V. Mallavadhani, Anita K. Panda and Y. R. Rao, Diospyros melanoxylon Leaves: A rich source of pentacyclic triterpenes (2001) Pharmaceutical Biology, 39, 20-24. Impact Factor: 0.878
- U. V. Mallavadhani, Anita K. Panda and Y. R. Rao, Triterpene acids from Diospyros melanoxylon, (1998)Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, 26, 941- 942.Impact Factor: 1.110
- U. V. Mallavadhani, Anita K. Panda and Y. R. Rao, Pharmacology and Chemotaxonomy of Diospyros, (1998) Phytochemistry,49(4), 901-951.Impact Factor: 3.351
- U. V. Mallavadhani, A.V.S.Sudhakar and Anita Mahapatra , Single pot process for the regioselective synthesis of neolignan framework from asarones, US Patent No. 7872160; 18/01/2011
- U. V. Mallavadhani, Anita K. Panda and Y. R. Rao, A process for the preparation of long chain fatty acid esters of ursolic acid as potent anti microbial agents, Patent No. 220524, Granted Date 29.5.2008.
- U. V. Mallavadhani, Anita K. Panda and Y. R. Rao, A process for the preparation of ursolic acid stearate and oleanolic acid palmitate as potent antifeedants, Patent No. 231039, Granted Date 28.2.2008.
MONOGRAPHS : THIRTY :
THIRTY monographs of Indian System of Medicine (Single & Multiherbal Formulations) drugs have been submitted to Dept. of AYUSH, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Published in The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India
1 API, Part I, vol. V, 1st edn., 2006, Pg- 98 & 195
2 API, Part II, vol. I, 1st edn., 2007, Pg- XLI & 100-111/p>
Conferences International -11:
- Induction of Apoptosis in Human Lungs Carcinoma (A-549) Cell Line by Cytotoxic Compounds of Some Indian Medicinal Plants, Oral presentation at International Conference and Exhibition on Pharmacognosy, Phytochemistry & Natural Products, during 21st-23rd October, 2013 by OMICS Group Conferences, Pharmacognosy-2013, Hyderabad.
- Synthesis and Anti-implantation Activity of Pentacyclic Triterpene Derivatives as Emergency Contraceptives as Invited Lecture at International Symposium on Chemistry and chemical Biology of Natural Products, 2nd -4th August, 2012 by Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (CSIR), Hyderabad.
- Induction of p53 independent apoptosis via mitochondrial pathway by zerumbone analogues on human lungs and colon cancer cells. Oral presentation at International Conference on Recent Advances in Cancer Research-Therapeutics to Chemoprevention 8-9th February, 2012 by Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar
Received Prof. A.R. Rao Memorial Best Young Researcher Award for the Oral presentation
- Chemical modification of Zerumbone, a sesquiterpene, for development of potent anticancer agents, Poster presentation at International Conference on Cancer Biology: Molecular Mechanisms and Novel Therapeutics-CANCERCON 2010, held at IIT, Madras, 2010.
- Development analogues of 3b-hydroxy-urs-12-ene-28-oic acid as potent anti-inflammatory agents, Poster presentation at International Symposium on Current Status & Opportunities in Aromatic and Medicinal Plants, held at CIMAP (CSIR), Lucknow,2010
- Anti-inflammatory activity of Madhuca indica, Poster presentation at International Symposium on Current Status & Opportunities in Aromatic and Medicinal Plants, held at CIMAP (CSIR), Lucknow,2010
- In vitro HIV-1 Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitory Activity of Naphthoquinones and Derivatives from Euclea natalensis. 33rd Congress of the South African Association of Botanists (SAAB), Univ. of Cape Town, South Africa, 2007.
- Evaluation of Medicinal Plants and Synthesized Naphthoquinones on Cancer Cells. 33rd Congress of the South African Association of Botanists (SAAB), Univ. of Cape Town, South Africa, 2007
- Anti-tuberculosis Activity and cytotoxicity of 7-methyljuglone derivatives. Indigenous plant use forum, Gabarone, Botswana, 2006.
- New Flavonoids from the Leaves of Diospyros melanoxylon. Poster presentation at IUPAC International Conference on Biodiversity and Natural Products: Chemistry and Medical Applications, New Delhi, 2004
- Chemistry of Diospyros melanoxylon (Kendu) Leaves and Search for Alternative Uses. Oral presentation at International Seminar on Management of Minor Forest Products, Dehradun, 1994.
National : 10
- Montmorillonite clay and Microwave Mediated Activation of asarones: Synthesis of Novel Neolignan Frameworks, National Seminar On Green Chemistry & Natural Products, Delhi University, 2007
- Kendu : A Highly Productive Natural Source, 8th Orissa Bigyan Congress, Bhubaneswar, 2004
- A New Steroidal Glycoside from Diospyros melanoxylon Leaves. Oral presentation at 19th Annual Meet of Orissa Chemical Society, Bhubaneswar, 2001
- Major Metabolites Variation in Different Parts of Diospyros melanoxylon. Oral presentation at 11th Annual Conference of Orissa Chemical Society, Rourkela, 2000
- Significant Accumulation of Lupane Skeletons in Medicinally Important Diospyros melanoxylon Fruits. Oral presentation at 50th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress, Mumbai,1998
- Unusual Product Formation during Synthesis and Subsequent Rearrangement of two Building Blocks of Dibromotyrosine Based Natural Products. National Symposium on Development in Natural Products, Andhra University, 1997
- Hitherto Unreported Triterpenic Acids from Diospyros melanoxylon. National Symposium on Development in Natural Products, Oral presentation at Andhra University, 1997
- Diospyros melanoxylon - A Potential Source for Pharmacologically Active Pentacyclic Triterpenes. Oral presentation at 10th Annual Conference of Orissa Chemical Society, Cuttack, 1997
- Unusual Occurrence of Dihydroxy Triterpenic Acids of Oleanane and Ursane Skeletons in Diospyros Species. Oral presentation at 33rd Annual Conv. of Chemists, India Chemical Society, Coimbatore, 1996.
Attended National Conferences - 2
- Gujarat Pharma Conclave "Leveraging Growth thru' Knowledge Networks" by FICCI, FDCA and Govt. of Gujarat on 12th April, 2012, Ahmedabad
- "DST-Lockheed Martin India Innovation Growth Programme, 2012 Workshop by FICCI, India, Ahmedabad